LCO's Trout Town USA - Dunsmuir California
Trout Town USA : Dunsmuir, California
Trout Town USA : Edition 1 - By George Revel.
Slogan: “Home of the Best Water on Earth”
Fishing: Upper Sacramento River and The McCloud River
The Local Fly Shop: If you’ve been to Dunsmuir there is a good chance that you have met Bob the owner of Ted Fay Fly Shop. Hell, my grandfather shopped with Ted Fay 50 years ago. A class act all around Ted Fay Fly Shop has always been one of my favorites for great advice and selection.
Dunsmuir is full of incredible places to eat here are a few:
- Low Key & Easy: It doesn’t get more low key and easy than Dunsmuir Brewery Works. Good food and solid beer that is sure to hit the spot after a day of fly fishing dunsmuir. They usually have live music on Friday and Saturday nights. They have outside seating and are pet friendly.
- LCO Breakfast Favorite: I’m a sucker for a good breakfast and Dogwood Diner delivers. Dogwood is seasonal farm to table restaurant with a great menu, solid coffee, and some killer beers I’ve never heard of. This place does not open super early so it for the late starters.
- The Date Spot: Fresh, local, and seasonal dishes are served up by chef LaMott in an open kitchen that over looks a rustic dining room at Café Maddalena. It is a perfect date spot or for those who appreciate fine foods where ever you are.
Places to stay:
- Get-a-house: Are you looking for a place on the river for your family or you and a few friends where you can barbeque and fly fish out back? The Rivendell house in Dunsmuir is killer. Rivendell features a small deck right on the river, a nice backyard, bbq, backyard and pet friendly.
- Unique: If you are looking for somewhere unique to stay in the Dunsmuir area look no further than Girard Ridge Lookout. A Forest Service lookout built in 1931 and retired in 1981. At 4,809ft in elevation Girard Ridge Lookout provides an incredible view of Castle Crags, Shasta, and Lassen.
- Motel: If you are looking for motel in check out Dunsmuir Inn and Suites. This Motel has clean rooms, friendly people, and is well located.
- Camp: Check out Castle Crags Campground and if that is full Sims Campground is a great option. Sims offers some great fly fishing but can be quite hot during summer months.
Most guiding is walk and wade but there are also some rafting options on the lower river. Give us a call to book one of LCO’s Master Fly Fishing Guides in Dunsmuir. 415-483-2278
Places to see:
Castle Crags State Park offers many great hikes and some incredible site seeing.
Mosbrea Falls : After mile hike down the creosote leaking train tracks usually in triple digit temperatures one is reward with one of the most beautiful sight in California.
The Best Sign in America: unfortunately because people stole this sign too frequently it has been replaced
Leave a comment