Rio InTouch Fly Lines Review
Rio InTouch Fly Lines Review
By George Revel
Imagine a fly fishing product that made casting easier and allowed you to set the hook more efficiently. Well, that is just what Rio’s new connectcore does. I rarely will make the claim that a product will help you catch more fish. That is unless… it’s true. Rio’s all new InTouch Series of lines will do just that.
As my dear friend Bill Lowe used to say “life is too short for bad fly lines and bad coffee.” I couldn’t agree more and that’s why you will find a Rio fly line on all of my reels. With limited space in the shop I only have room for the best. One of the best perks of my job is testing all the gear out there to choose the best.
Like many of great companies I choose to work with, Rio employs passionate anglers who are obsessed with out-doing themselves year after year.
Every InTouch line comes equipped with:
- Max Cast: Rio’s proprietary coating repels water away from the line, resulting in improved floatation, reduced dirt adhesion, easier pick up, and less line spray.
- Connectcore: The Average fly stretches up to 30% the connectcore is just 6%. The result is an easier casting fly line with more efficient hook sets …. which leads to more fish.
- Max Float Tip: Rio’s proprietary tip coating formula floats more than twice as high as regular line tips, without any increase in diameter. That puts maximum floatation right where you need it for reduced drag, longer presentations and quieter pickups.
- Rio’s tricolor lines improve casting accuracy by making it easy to gauge exact distances with a quick glance.
- Intouch lines also come equipped with loops on both ends and line identifications printed on the line.
I’ve fished nearly every trout line that Rio makes and I have tried to boil it down to the lines that really matter in Northern California.
The best Jack of all Trades Fly Line
Rio Intouch Gold Fly Line : Great all purpose fly line. What is it not good for? Nothing really… The Intouch Gold Fly Line does everything pretty darn well. Also a really great line for fishing dry dropper and large hopper like dry flies. The Intouch Gold Fly Line is perfect on the Upper Sac or the McCloud River.
- Moderately length front taper makes this a great line for turning over a variety of different flies from 18 BWO’s to more wind resistant or heavy items like an indicator our a streamer.
- A long head an long rear taper make a great line for longer cast and mending.
Best Fly Line for Dry Flies Size 10 and smaller
Rio Intouch Trout LT Fly Line : Great for delicate presentations. Choose the double taper if you want to carry large amounts of line in the air (60-80ft). If you want to shoot line to your target the weight forward is the best choice for you. This line while it seams might be a great fit for small streams is not. The front of the line has a long taper making it very light for many short line situations. Perfect for caddis, PMD, and BWO hatches on the Fall River, Hat Creek, and the Lower Yuba.
- The long front taper delivers dry flies with finesse.
- Short back taper is perfect for reach casts and shooting line.
- Weight in the rear of the head provides great loop stability and softer landing landing. The line weight in toward the back of the head makes this line a poor choice for small streams.
Best Nymph/Indicator Fly Line
Rio InTouch Xtreme Indicator Fly Line : Just like it sounds this line is best indicator line you could ever ask for. I have never been a huge fan of things named xtreme or the orange tip that comes with most indicator specific lines out there, but I have to eat crow with this line. I used the orange tip as a built in indicator and was pleasantly surprised how well it did. Best line for Lower Sac, Trinity, and Feather River.
- This very weight forward fly line with a short front taper makes it the perfect line to chuck large indicators and split shot.
- The long rear taper makes this line easy mend.
Best Beginner Fly Line:
Rio InTouch Perception Fly Line : the shorter head makes this line perfect for smaller streams and super easy to shoot when you need a little more distance.
- A shorter comfortable head makes this a great line for beginners and small streams.
Did I miss anything? Give me a call and I can help you find your perfect line.
Leave a comment